Digital India: Embracing Technology Enabling People.

~* This post was declared a Runners Up in the Digital India Contest organised by Intel & Indiblogger. *~

My first reaction on reading about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s One Lakh Crore ambitious e-governance project ‘Digital India’ was an incredulous – Now that’s a lot of zeroes!

OK. OK. I am only kidding. But not about the incredulous part. Because last time I checked, which was yesterday, the internet connection in my old school did not work; every time I try to update my passbook the link is down in the bank and the countless emails I have been sending the Passport Offices to follow up on an extremely delayed passport are never answered.

So Digital India by 2019 is a tremendously challenging task, if you ask me. But having said that, I also totally agree with Kanye West “Shoot for the stars, so if you fall you land on a cloud.”
And the good news is that #DigitalIndia is the Department of Electronics and Information Technology of the Government of India’s pet project which is a top priority and we have the money. Did I tell you about the number of zeroes in the budget allocated? And most importantly we have Computer Hardware and Software giants like Intel, Microsoft, Adobe and Google collaborating to, I quote, “transform India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy.”

So apparently, there are nine pillars of the Digital India project. I am going to skip over the details because there is already enough information available on the internet. You could read all about it here if you like. Pillar #8 - IT for Jobs, is my personal favorite. I would just like to add that I am in total support of what the project is set to achieve. It’s high time we caught up with the 21st century for Information Technology! 

Source: Maps of India

Did you know that Intel is set to help 5 million people in India by 2015 through its ‘Digital Skills for India’ programme? A free android app which includes modules on digital literacy, financial inclusion, healthcare and cleanliness in Hindi, English, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil and Kannada.
Also, there is the ‘Innovate for India Challenge’ rolling out next year. An excellent platform for brilliant minds to come up with solutions to problems relevant to the country.
Not to mention Intel’s commitment to work with Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL) to deliver digital literacy to Panchayats under the National Optic Fiber Network roll-out in India.

I have always been a fan of Intel. I had actually given away a free laptop when I was in college because it did not come bearing the Intel processor. I preferred to continue using my 6 months old laptop which had the Intel Core 2 duo processor than use a brand new one with a non Intel processor. Before I digress too much and turn this into a fan post for Intel, let me quickly conclude and add that my respect for Intel is now at a whole new level... can anyone really be unimpressed by their initiative to help 5 million people in 2015? 

Anyway, Intel India has already made a headway in realizing PM Modi’s vision of a Digital India. But the responsibility of #DigitalIndia does not rest on the government and Industry giants alone. It lies with you and me too.

I am off to teach my dad probably for the 100th time to access his bank account online. Universal digital literacy begins at home! After all what good is making all the information in the whole world readily available online if you do not know how to access them?
______________________________________________________________________________

This post is my entry for the #DigitalIndia challenge organised by Indiblogger and http://www.intel.in/
UPDATE: This post was awarded a Flipkart Voucher worth 2000 INR.