Choosing Happiness

Until about a couple of years ago, I was stuck in a rut. Working on onsite assignments in the USA, bound to my desk 9 to 5 and often late into the nights, targeting the next promotion, attending inane meetings… in short, my days had all the usual trappings of an ordinary life in the IT industry.

Did I hate my job? No. Not at all. I liked my colleagues, respected my boss and hell I was even good at my job. In fact I loved the fat pay check which made its way into my bank account every fortnight.

But I wasn’t happy either. My life was about writing pointless bits of codes, half of which will probably never see the light of the day. I was leading an uninspired life trapped in a middle class rat race.

My cubicle bound soul longed for a life of adventure and with every passing day this desire grew stronger.

It was a beautiful winter afternoon when I told my brother about my misgivings. Dada & I met for lunch at my favorite restaurant. Over desserts … humungous slice of delectable tiramisu… I blurted out my desire to trade in my cushy stable job to chase my childhood dream. Dada listened patiently, as I outlined my plan - which were starting to sound hollow even to me. At the end of my monologue, I looked at him waiting to be chided.

“Are you sure this is what you want Tisha?” he asked calmly.

“Yes” I replied with more conviction than I actually felt.

“Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy!” he said. 

Dada's words gave me the strength I needed to go chasing my dreams. Ever since that day that is the one #SachchiAdvice that I go back to every time I need to make a choice.

Image Source: Crave Online

I graduate from culinary school next fall. To say life hasn’t been a piece of cake so far would be putting it lightly. There were nights when I have cried myself to sleep questioning my sanity. But every new day is a new adventure and every perfect soufflĂ© is a reward.

I am going to be a pastry chef at my own little bistro someday. I know I have a long tough road ahead, but this is me choosing happiness and doing my part in making this world a little bit sweeter.

And it is all thanks to Dada's #SachchiAdvice!

__________________________________________________________________________________________


“I am participating in the #SachchiAdvice Contest by MaxLife in Association with BlogAdda.”