A letter to my Father

Dear Papa,

Happy Fathers’ Day!

I know being a father is no easy task, especially to a daughter as handful as I am. So what better than today to take a minute or two to say thank you for being a great father.

You know Papa, in my earliest memories, you as my favorite playmate. Of course I loved Chubby, the teddy bear and Flora, the doll but they could not participate in my tea parties like you did. I still chuckle at the thought of you in a paper tiara and feather boa. I now know your favorite tv show wasn’t really “Winnie the Pooh” and your favorite pastime wasn’t playing pony. You would rather watch the World Cup or catch up on your office work. But you did them because when you love someone, you do what you can to make them happy. A life lesson I have never forgotten.

When I started school, you added the role of tutor to your never ending job description. In a time without internet, helping me out with homework and class project was indeed a remarkable task. Remember the time when I had forgotten all about my History assignment and I wanted you to do it for me the day before. I am glad you refused. Mrs. Kurein told me off in front of the whole class and deducted ten points for my late submission. But I learnt to take responsibility for my actions. Oh! And I don’t think I was ever late with assignments again.

My teenage years weren’t easy to handle and I probably caused you a few too many gray hairs. I snapped at you for insisting on curfews and objecting to my hanging out with certain types of people. But I now know that you just wanted me to be safe.

From teaching me how to walk to riding a bike to finally driving a car; you taught me to be independent, to stand on my own feet. You also taught me to stand up to bullies and defend myself rather than wait around to be rescued.

I have rarely expressed my gratitude to you Papa. Instead I have always taken it for granted that I can come running to you when I screw up. But please know I am brave because I have you to catch me when I fall. And thank you for never saying ‘I told you so!’

Whether it was my school play, a sporting event or graduation, Papa, you have always clapped the hardest and cheered the loudest. Wherever I end up, I hope I make you proud.

I know there is no such thing as a perfect father but you come pretty darn close. No matter how tall I grow, I will always look up to you.

Sending you a lot of love and hugs from across the oceans.

Always your little girl,
T


__________________________________________________________________________________________

#HugYourDad
“This father’s day, I am expressing my love towards my dad by participating in the #HugYourDad activity at BlogAdda in association with Vicks.”